Call Us Now! 0422 265 330

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I have a medical condition or injury that affects driving?

Under national legislation it is your responsibility to notify your licensing authority (RMS in NSW) if you have a medical condition that affects driving. It is important to do this to avoid any penalties or difficulties with your insurer in the case of accident. The RMS can be notified of your condition via an RMS Medical Report form or by a letter from your doctor. The doctor will need to indicate if you are medically fit to drive. 

Rehab on Road aims to assist people with a medical condition or injury return to driving.

How do I know if I have a medical condition that must be reported?

Discuss your medical condition with your doctor. Your doctor may consult the document 'Assessing Fitness to Drive, Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers' (2016). This booklet lists medical conditions which must be reported to the RMS. The RMS Medical Unit must be notified if you have had a stroke, brain injury, seizures, diabetes, some heart conditions, vision loss or developed degenerative conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis or Parkinson's disease. Some orthopaedic and neuromuscular conditions and injuries affect ability to operate vehicle controls. If you have had a hospital admission sometimes the RMS is notified your medical condition by the hospital.

What happens once the RMS is notified of the condition?

The RMS will write to you with instructions. No action may be required or you may be asked to submit additional medical information or attend an occupational therapy driving assessment. The purpose of the driving assessment is to determine the impact of your medical condition on your ability to drive according to license authority standards.

How do I find a Driver Trained OT?

Send an enquiry form via the website asking for a list of driver trained occupational therapists in NSW and I will reply with a list attached. Alternatively you can contact the OT Australia on Ph. 9648 3225 for a provider ( Rehab on Road provides driving assessment and rehabilitation services for drivers in all classes of vehicles.

What does the assessment involve?

The assessment process is explained under 'Driving with a Disability'.

What are potential outcomes of the assessment?

Pass: If the assessment shows your medical condition does not affect your ability to drive according to RMS standards it will be recommended that you return to driving.

Remediation: Some drivers require vehicle modifications or training in strategies to compensate for their condition.  A rehabilitation programme may be recommended. This is conducted by a qualified driving instructor, experienced in rehabilitation. An on road re-assessment may be required to ensure the difficulties identified have been corrected. An RMS Disability Driving Test is required for endorsement of some vehicle modifications on the license (eg. hand controls, steering aids and pedal modifications).

Fail: Rehab on Road aims to assist people return to legal and safe driving but sometimes this is not possible. If results of the assessment indicate the risk of collision and remediation is not possible, it may be recommended that a driver's license is cancelled. If you have a medical condition that gets worse over time such as memory loss you may need to start planning when to give up driving. 

What can I do if I don't agree with the results of the assessment?

Rehab on Road will provide feedback throughout the assessment and discuss the outcome fully with you. A comprehensive medico legal report will be provided with results. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the assessment you can appeal the decision via the RMS. You can have a second opinion from an independent driver trained occupational therapist however you will have to pay for the second assessment.

How much does the assessment cost?

Where injury has occurred in the work place or via a motor vehicle accident, the cost is born by an insurer or other third parties. Life Time Care (LTCS) and the NDIS may also fund driving assessments. In general however, the cost is born by the driver. Veterans with a gold card usually must pay the full cost of the assessment (unless ADF members currently on active duty). Occasionally services such as the MS Society may pay for vehicle modifications but do not usually cover the cost of the assessment.

There is wide variability in assessment cost because some hospitals subsidise the assessment and some services invoice under private health insurance or Medicare schemes. Services that are self-funded (eg. private occupational therapists) must cover the full cost of the assessment so are generally more expensive. Hospitals tended to provide the assessment at lower cost but there may be a waiting list . Hospital based assessments vary from approximately $250 to $650. Private services should be contacted directly for their schedule of fees. 

How do I organise a driving assessment?

You can refer yourself via the online enquiry form or ask your doctor to refer. You will need to bring an RMS Medical Report form (or equivalent letter) completed by your doctor to the assessment. Also bring your driver's license, glasses if worn, and a list of medications you take. Rehab on Road will call you to make a booking or you can contact us.

Back to top                          
Website design and development by
Inov8 Digital Websites Brisbane